Friday, March 11, 2011

Noshing Can Be Fun and Healthy

I invented a new dish for a party last week, The theme was Fiesta. I was rummaging through my fridge and found a pile of Belgian Endive leaves. So I filled them with a spicy white bean dip that had a bit of olive oil and lots of flavor. There was literally no fat and very few calories in this dish. And even better, it was pretty cool looking when I was done:


Here is the recipe:

Cook about 1 cup of white beans as you normally would but include a couple of dried chile peppers, a couple of garlic cloves and  a teaspoon of oregano (about a Tablespoon if using fresh) during the cooking process.
Mash the beans with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, use a good extra virgin and if it has a flavor all the better;  I used Harissa from Yavapai Olive Oil Mill, some salt, lemon juice and chile powder if it is not hot enough already. I used my mini food processor to get the right consistency.


Pipe into the rinsed leaves of fresh Belgian endive and top with a section of roasted red bell pepper.
I used tepary beans but any white bean will do, such as cannelini (and canned would work as well).

That is all there is to it.

No comments: