Friday, April 20, 2007

Managing Menopause

There are times in our lives when we need a good network of female friends-men will just not cut it. I am finding that Menopause is one of them. As I have begun experiencing what apparently are relatively mild hot flashes (girls, I pity those of you who are in the non-mild categories) it naturally becomes a topic of conversation with everyone I meet. Sorry, everyone, but I feel the need to explain why I am suddenly turning red and tuning out. Mind you, I am not really complaining-if this is the price for losing the menstrual period, then I am all for it.
As with everything else that involves medicine, it seems we are all desperately seeking relief in any place we can find it and comparing notes. My internet research led me to a couple of websites that listed the 33 symptoms of menopause.
I had them all. Don't we all?
It gave the usual admonitions about avoiding alcohol and spicy food. Yeah, right!
Well, that turned out to be true. Anniversary night dinner naturally involved a couple of cocktails. About 2 a.m. I awoke with a fervent desire to fill in for the Palo Verde plant by having APS plug into me. I could have lit the entire city with the energy that was emanating from my torso!
Then I asked my guru what I could do for my hot flashes. He referred me to the "premier herbologist" in the field. These people are sikhs so they have interesting names. Karta Purkh Singh Khalsa lives in the Pacific Northwest and conducts internet/phone consultations for $65 and provides recommendations for exercise and herbal regimens to address individual problems. He sends an advance questionairre that gets very personal. You fill it out and return it before the telephone meeting.
The consultation was amazingly pleasant. KP had the most soothing voice, something a hormonal old broad like me is going to immediately take to. Although he did not get my info sheet ahead of time that did not slow things down much as he found it and reviewed it while we spoke. He was very encouraging, referring to my issue as a relatively simple one. He promised to get back to me in a couple of days after he thought about it for awhile. I promised to show him to some real Mexican restuarants on his next trip down from Eugene, OR. Seems he always gets referred to chain restaurants when he is here. Can you imagine?
I am expecting to get relief as he led me to believe he was pretty sure we could "turn off" the furnace. I am currently waiting for the recommendations but in the meanwhile I found his website and thought I would share it in case any of you wish to follow up on this. www.kpkhalsa.com. You will see he is eminently qualified.
Also, another friend brought to my attention a herbal food supplement that is supposed to be nearly miraculous, particular for people suffering from chronic ailments. A psoriasis sufferer, I was interested and checked out that website. See for yourself at www.herbdoc.com. He seems a bit unconventional but you be the judge. I am told that the person who was taking it obtained great results on her health basic, i.e., blood sugar, cholesterol, etc. almost immediately.
I will keep you posted on my progress. Gotta run and stick my head in the fridge, having a hot flash!!!! Whew.

No comments: