Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I Just Knew There Was Something Fishy Going On

All of a sudden it was practically raining tilapia. This fish was rarely heard of and even more rarely eaten just a few short years ago. It was the fish of choice for keeping the canals clean that out here in the west are our lifeblood for water. I knew that fact and so when this fish became ubiquitous in the food world, showing up in practically ever freezer case and on every restaurtant menu I grew suspicious. And to be honest grossed out. I can say with some authority that I have never eaten the stuff and I am generally a fish and seafood lover (no surprise there for those of you who know how much I love most food-except in the interest of disclosure I am not a big lobster fan, mostly because it is just too much work and not enough pay off but also because it,is the ocean's vacuum cleaner)!

Then I discovered that industry had learned how to farm these charming creatures. They became easy to grow, easy to sell and easily slipped into just about every fish eaters carte in America. Now the farming didn't bother me; most of the shrimp around here comes from the briny ponds near Gila Bend and I have no problem with that. It was the idea of the tilapia

It turns out my instincts were correct. Now they are discovering that Tilapia contains really bad fats. Check it out here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25590107/.

So stick with the known commodities like trout, cod, snapper, orange roughy and halibut, OK? Cheap is not always better.

No comments: